HAPPYDALE exists to provide a haven for the mentally handicapped where education and training are provided for the limited child to enable him to lead as normal a life as possible and to stimulate and develop his potential to the maximum.
THE STAFF COMPLIMENT : Principal; 2 Deputy principals; 2 Secretaries; 26 Teachers; 16 non-teaching staff; a Physiotherapist; 2 Cleaners; a Cook; a Gardener; and a Driver. Number of children: 286 currently on the roll.
VOLUNTEER / INTERNS assist with the teaching of basic skills, with the emphasis on reading, writing, counting, handwork, manual operations and any educational activity by which the development of the child is enhanced; Sport activities – netball, table tennis, rugby, soccer, cricket, athletics, swimming.
Music therapy; water therapy; hobby making.
VOLUNTEERS & INTERNS will learn about new cultures which are totally different to what you might have encountered. You will be working closely with local people and learn from them and share your experiences and culture with them. No doubt the mutual benefit from your interaction with both the learners and the staff will be life changing.
“To care for the poor is not an act of charity
.... it is an act of justice!”
EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT
WHAT CAN YOU DO:
BECOME a part of their team
- offer any particular skill whether it be the hand of friendship, admin skills, marketing skills, any health science skill, social work skills, any teaching skills, sport skills
- create ways to make life a little brighter for those your serve
- have great interaction with new cultures
- bring your world into their world!
WHAT YOU WILL GET:
A truly life changing experience through LEARNING:
- about new cultures
- to work and communicate with a culturally diverse group
- to share your experiences and culture with them
- to work with adults and children with disabilities from a different culture
- to become part of a team
- to love and to care
- to know that you HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE!